Midsouth Makers (MM)
Midsouth Makers is a group of geeks, nerds, tinkerers, makers, thinkers, and fanboys that have come together for a common purpose. We aim to gather like minded people who wish to experiment with various projects, and maybe even expand their knowledge in the process. All the while keeping things interesting and fun.
Our history is still rather limited, but we started as a group of people online with a common idea. We had all heard about the idea of “hackerspaces” or “makerspaces” where geeks could come and work on projects together. Coming to the realization that Memphis and the surrounding area has no such group, we decided it was time for one to exist. We joined forces for the first time as a group on January 8th, 2010.
It was at this first gathering that we decided on the name Midsouth Makers and thus incorporated it within the state of Tennessee. While waiting for that paperwork to come back we were sent a bit of inspiration in the form of a visit from some Pumping Station: One members. It was from the encouragement of these visitors that we decided to hold weekly meetings. Those meetings were likely the singular best thing we could have done yet. Since then the meetings have continued to grow in size almost to the point of bursting. Along with our paramount growth we have since acquired a tax ID and are on our way to obtaining a bank account to actually operate with!
- Acquire and maintain a collaborative workspace for communal use by all members
- Foster a creative, collaborative environment for experimentation and development in science, technology, and art.
- Interact with the local community that our space is situated in through education and cultural participation.
- Share our developments and ideas with the world at large.
- Facilitate communication with other spaces and colleagues nationally and internationally.
- Invite experts and other creative individuals to share their ideas and projects.