RaiderNationLaptopStation final design
|Started On||June 2011|
When working from home, I have to use 3 laptops and an external monitor in order to monitor different system alarms. My current setup is on a dining room table and is very uncomfortable having to stretch from system to system. In addition, I have a collection of other laptops and netbooks that I have acquired over the years that need to be stored. I decided to design a compact desk that is more comfortable to use that will fit in our spare room and still provide enough space to stow all my equipment.
- Design and style
- Constructed from 4 4' x 4' sheets of 1/2" plywood and 1 4' x 4' 1/2" sheet of MDF
- Total footprint is 4' x 4' to fit in the available space in spare bedroom
- Painted black and silver for good team mojo(GO RAIDERS!)
- Individual shelves for laptops, mice and power adapters in left return and a space for backpacks in the right return.
- Created with Google Sketchup 8
- Laid out cuts on all boards, then rough-cut large pieces with portable saw
- Doing fine cuts with table saw
- Assembled using brad nails to hold pieces together, using glue and countersunk screws for main strength.
- May also use 1/4" dowels, but there is much greater chance of splitting wood when drilling dowel holes.